Thursday, May 22, 2008

A Distracted Mind

Al Mohler has a recent blog discussing the fact that many in my generation and younger, older as well to some extent have short attention spans and are constantly switching from this to th...

In an attempt to not let our children grow up in front of the television or computer screen what we have done in our home is just turn the TV off when our 2 year old is awake. There are exceptions and this is not a legalistic rule, but it is one that I hope enables family talks, and family time to be just that time with the family not time next to relatives staring at flickering images. I think I am the one that is having the hardest time with this new rule, because I am so used to coming home and sitting on the coach and staring at the TV. 

I still have so far to go, I need to cut down the time I spend, checking my email, and google reader, but I hope that cutting these down will be replaced by books, and time with the fam!!

Listen to what Dr. Mohler says and take the challenge, especially you fellas;

Join the revolution and refuse the seductions of the mind-numbing allure of all things digital -- at least long enough to think a great thought, hear a great lecture, enjoy a quality conversation (with a real, live face-to-face human being), listen to a great sermon, visit a museum, read a good book, or take in a beautiful sunset.

People who cannot maintain mental attention cannot know the intimacy of prayer, and God does not maintain a Facebook page. Our ability to focus attention is not just about the mind, for it is also a reflection of the soul. Our Christian discipleship demands that we give attention to our attention.

Read the whole blog post here


No comments:

Post a Comment