Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Irony of Self Esteem


Michael Horton the host of The White Horse Inn radio program comments in his book "Putting Amazing Back into Grace" on the affects of our culture that has raised me to tell me that I am a special, unique snowflake that and that all I need to do in this life is love myself more and more. Don't believe me, watch one episode of Oprah the most self obsessed show there may be out there, right up there with Dr. Phil.

"Never before, perhaps, has God been so totally forgotten and lowered in our estimation. Self-esteem, self-image, self-confidence, self-this and self-that have replaced talk of God's attributes. Ironically, this has created the opposite of its intention. The more time we spend contemplating our own greatness in the mirror, the more clearly we are bound to see the warts. Without the knowledge of God in whose image we have been created, and the grace which has made us children of God, narcissism (self-love) quickly evolves into depression (self-hate)." (pg. 14-15)


No comments:

Post a Comment