Monday, February 4, 2008

A Broken Jar


But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. 2Cor. 4:7


I knew it was coming I knew 4 days ago that I would probably be going through this, but when it came, it came quick and it is painful.

What came you ask?? Let me give some background...

Last Thursday night Lauren went to on of elder's home, for a girls night with the wives of elders and staff of Desert Springs Church. This meant that I was home with my daughter, needless to say that anytime it is just me and Jordyn things get crazy, have you ever seen "Mr. Mom" yeah kinda like that. So as the night progressed we played, ate dinner while watching the Democratic debates, and then some Diego and Dora time as was promised to Jordyn. As Jordyn watched Dora I was in my office checking email. Well Dora ended and Jordyn proceeded to yell "Daddy More Dora!!!", I did not understand all she said but heard her yelling, so I started to quickly get up out of my chair and BAM! I slamed my right knee into the desk drawer, yeah ouch is a good word. I think a few other words came to mind as I limped out of my office, I yelled at Jordyn to stop yelling (yes I realize the dumbness of that) I was not mad or even annoyed at her I was just in pain and my yelling at her was more my knee screaming at me. I then immediately, by God's grace apologized and asked her for forgiveness and then felt some wetness on my knee. No I did not pee my pants, I was cut right on my knee cap and was bleeding, yeah fun times!!!

I have been putting neosporian and band-aids on my knee since then and was doing alright, until today. I have very sensitive knees from a childhood illness (long story) and often when I bang my knees that hard they end up infected and swollen, very painful. I thought I got off without this, but was wrong. As today went on my knee went from mild discomfort to a point of pain where I could not walk on it. I did have some medication at home so left work and got home to take it, I think I got to it in time, the pain is residing very slowly and the knee even looks a little better. I still cannot walk on it that much and it still throbs as I type.

This reminds me that even with my NY Giants winning the greatest game ever (hyperbole I know), that I am not in heaven that I am still in a messed up fallen world. The pain I have now points me to Jesus, who entered this world in a "clay jar" and was broken an beaten so that one day messy, rebels who trust in Him for their salvation will have new bodies, bodies that do not get infected. Jesus is making all things new, my heart first, and I know and wait eagerly for my body to follow! It also reminds me how much I am a fan of comfort, how I so cherish comfort and a painfree life. Today there were millions, yes millions of people that felt way more pain than me, whether it is pain from a body wrecked by Aids in Africa, or cancer here in Albuquerque, or a body that has been ravaged by war in Iraq, Chad or Kenya.

I am a broken clay jar, but the treasure that God has put in me is unbreakable, and imperishable. That is my hope, not the jar, but the everlasting joy inside!!!

Something to marinate in:

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to decay and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.
Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.
What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written,
“For your sake we are being killed all the day long;
we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."
(Romans 8: 18-39)

No comments:

Post a Comment